- TOTAL TIME
- 1.5 hours
- PREP TIME
- 30 minutes
- COOK TIME
- 1 hour
- 8 – 12 servings (6 cups /1.5L)
- VEGGEMO FLAVOUR
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) glutinous rice*
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds/1.2 kg)
- 3 cups (750 ml) Veggemo Original, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) water
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) white sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- Goji berries, pumpkin seeds, sliced dried apricots
- Agave nectar or maple syrup
- Veggemo Original
1. Wash and soak rice: Place rice in bowl and fill two thirds of the way with water. Using your hands, swish rice around for 30 seconds. Drain and repeat twice. Drain, add cold water to cover by at least an inch and let soak for one hour.
2. Cook squash: Cut squash in half widthwise, then lengthwise. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and fibrous material and discard. Cut into 3-4-inch pieces, and place in stock pot. Add about 1 1/2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until squash is fork tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool.
3. Scrape squash from skin and mash (discard skin). Measure out 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) mashed squash (save any leftovers for another use). Add to blender and puree with 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) Veggemo and water until smooth (you can do this in batches). Return mixture to stock pot.
4. Drain the soaked rice and puree in blender with 1 cup (250 ml) Veggemo until as smooth as possible. Add to squash mixture in pot and cook over medium heat stirring continuously until the rice starts to turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) Veggemo. Cover and simmer until smooth and creamy about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar and salt. For a thinner consistency, stir in additional Veggemo (porridge thickens as it stands).
5. Garnish as desired.
* Glutinous rice is a white rice available in most Asian grocers and large supermarkets.
This porridge can be served for breakfast or as a dessert.
An adaptation of traditional Congee (Asian Porridge).