- TOTAL TIME
- 25 minutes
- PREP TIME
- 10 minutes
- COOK TIME
- 15 minutes
- 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups
(375 ml) each
- VEGGEMO FLAVOUR
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower or other neutral-tasting vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chopped onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chopped red or white new potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp (1 – 2 ml) ground chipotle (optional – smoky and spicy!)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) good quality vegetable stock
- 3 cups (750 ml) frozen corn, defrosted, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) Veggemo Unsweetened
- 1 x 19-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups/500 ml cooked)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) seeded and diced very ripe (or canned) tomatoes (optional)
- Plain non-dairy sour cream or yogurt of choice
- Chopped cilantro or green onions
- More cooked corn
- A squeeze of lime juice and/or a bit of lime zest
1. Cook onions and garlic in oil in pot over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes, chili powder, coriander, cumin and chipotle and cook for another 30 seconds. Stir in stock, cover and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 7–10 minutes.
2. Place half of potato mixture in blender with 2 cups (500 ml) of corn and Veggemo; puree until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in remaining corn and the black beans. If too thick, stir in more Veggemo. Season to taste.
3. Just a minute or two before serving, stir in tomatoes and serve when tomatoes have softened.
4. Garnish to your heart’s desire!
Grilled or steamed corn on the cob tastes great in this soup! Each ear of corn yields about half a cup of niblets.